News coverage of President Obama at BRT
President Obama spoke to Business Roundtable CEOs on the fiscal cliff, debt ceiling and sundry other topics on Wednesday, prompting a spirited response from Speaker of the House John Boehner and other Republicans. A round-up of the news coverage...
First, the president's entire public comments are available on video thanks to C-SPAN here. The White House has posted a transcript of his public remarks here and video here. (UPDATE [4:10 p.m.]: Several stories and blog posts noted audio problems that briefly interrupted the President's remarks at the beginning of the session. The problem stemmed from a reporter accidently unplugging something, and in any case, the President's remarks remain audible on the White House and C-SPAN videos.)
NPR's report on today's Morning Edition was good, noting introductory comments from BRT Chairman Jim McNerney of Boeing. (McNerney statement: "Business Roundtable Statement on Meetings with President Obama, Congressional Leaders")
More news coverage ...
- New York Times, "Obama Appeals to Business for Support on Tax Plan"
- Washington Business Journal, "Obama tells Business Roundtable that higher taxes on wealthy are essential"
- Wall Street Journal (subscription), "Obama, GOP Each Pitch to Business "
- Los Angeles Times, "Obama resolute in showdown with GOP over 'fiscal cliff'"
- Associated Press, "Debt limit gives GOP leverage, Obama demands fix"
- CNBC.com, "Customers ‘Scared to Death’ of Going Off 'Cliff': Caterpillar CEO"
- Wall Street Journal, "Obama Appeals to Business Leaders on Cliff"
- The Hill, "Obama warns business GOP debt-ceiling 'game' will hurt economy"
- Washington Post, "Obama on debt ceiling fight: ‘I will not play that game’"
- Associated Press, "Obama warns against another debt ceiling fight"
- Washington Post (video), "President Obama: Press got enough there to ‘spin a story’"
- Memphis Commercial Appeal, "Obama talks to Roundtable, FedEx's Smith"
- USA TODAY, "Obama: Fiscal cliff shouldn't affect debt ceiling"
- CNBC.com, "Obama: 'We Can Probably Solve This in a Week'"
- ABC News, "Obama Rejects GOP 'Doomsday' Plan"
From the White House, a photo: