News coverage of President Obama at BRT
President Obama spoke to Business Roundtable CEOs on the fiscal cliff, debt ceiling and sundry other topics on Wednesday, prompting a spirited response from Speaker of the House John Boehner and other Republicans. A round-up of the news coverage...
First, the president's entire public comments are available on video thanks to C-SPAN here. The White House has posted a transcript of his public remarks here and video here. (UPDATE [4:10 p.m.]: Several stories and blog posts noted audio problems that briefly interrupted the President's remarks at the beginning of the session. The problem stemmed from a reporter accidently unplugging something, and in any case, the President's remarks remain audible on the White House and C-SPAN videos.)
NPR's report on today's Morning Edition was good, noting introductory comments from BRT Chairman Jim McNerney of Boeing. (McNerney statement: "Business Roundtable Statement on Meetings with President Obama, Congressional Leaders")
More news coverage ...
- New York Times, "Obama Appeals to Business for Support on Tax Plan"
- Washington Business Journal, "Obama tells Business Roundtable that higher taxes on wealthy are essential"
- Wall Street Journal (subscription), "Obama, GOP Each Pitch to Business "
- Los Angeles Times, "Obama resolute in showdown with GOP over 'fiscal cliff'"
- Associated Press, "Debt limit gives GOP leverage, Obama demands fix"
- CNBC.com, "Customers ‘Scared to Death’ of Going Off 'Cliff': Caterpillar CEO"
- Wall Street Journal, "Obama Appeals to Business Leaders on Cliff"
- The Hill, "Obama warns business GOP debt-ceiling 'game' will hurt economy"
- Washington Post, "Obama on debt ceiling fight: ‘I will not play that game’"
- Associated Press, "Obama warns against another debt ceiling fight"
- Washington Post (video), "President Obama: Press got enough there to ‘spin a story’"
- Memphis Commercial Appeal, "Obama talks to Roundtable, FedEx's Smith"
- USA TODAY, "Obama: Fiscal cliff shouldn't affect debt ceiling"
- CNBC.com, "Obama: 'We Can Probably Solve This in a Week'"
- ABC News, "Obama Rejects GOP 'Doomsday' Plan"
From the White House, a photo:
More On The Issue
Connect with BRT
Latest BRT News
Momentum for America
Business Roundtable is focusing its efforts on greater job expansion and economic growth – national priorities that are inextricably linked. Informing our plan is our collective business experience as CEOs of America’s leading companies, experience that tells us what it takes to build momentum for the United States in in 2016 and beyond.