America faces many challenges as we work together to restore the promise of economic growth and security for our country, our families and the American worker. The CEOs of leading U.S. companies believe in America and our ability to once again meet this challenge. This belief in the inherent strengths of the United States and its people enables them to see beyond America’s short-term difficulties to the brighter future that lies ahead. That future directly hinges on America’s ability to lead globally, make optimal use of its impressive advantages, and always remember that its greatest asset is American workers and their families. It is with this enduring faith that the CEOs of Business Roundtable (BRT) confront the current challenges facing the United States.
The challenges are both real and serious. Despite hopeful signs of economic recovery, America remains mired in the deepest jobs crisis since the 1930s. One out of every 12 Americans who are willing and able to work cannot find a job. Approximately 13 million Americans remain unemployed. Frustrated and discouraged, millions more have simply given up looking for work altogether. To be sure, the severe job losses experienced during the depths of the 2007–09 recession have ended, and the unemployment rate fell from 9.4 percent in December 2010 to 8.5 percent in December 2011. But vigorous and sustained job creation has not returned at the level required to put America back to work, and the numbers of long-term unemployed remain at record levels.
We, the CEOs of Business Roundtable have a plan to revitalize U.S. economic growth and job creation. We believe that America’s business leaders have an obligation to bring their real-world experience on economic matters to public policy, especially in a time of widespread joblessness and economic distress. Job creation depends on economic growth, which cannot occur unless businesses are free to innovate, invest and grow. Taking Action for America is a comprehensive plan to jump-start new business investment and knock down barriers to economic growth. It includes pragmatic, actionable recommendations organized into three broad categories (all links are PDF downloads):
- American Global Leadership, which must be secured through sound fiscal policy, smarter regulation and competitive taxation.
- American Advantages, which depend on open markets for international trade and investment; reliable, affordable energy, protecting U.S. technology assets with effective cybersecurity and contributions of highly educated world talent.
- American Workers and Families, who deserve policies that promote a skilled, prepared workforce; affordable, quality health care and stable policies that ensure retirement security.
- Our one-page overview of the plan
- A document outlining all of our proposed solutions for revitalizing U.S. job and economic growth.
- A list of key regulations that we have pinpointed to help address the need for smarter regulation.
- Our advertisement in print publications in Tampa and Charlotte during the Republican and Democratic National Conventions urges Washington to act to solve our nation's challenges.
You can view Taking Action for America in its entirety by downloading the PDF.
Watch video from the Taking Action for America launch event:
Read coverage of Taking Action for America:
See what leaders in Washington and in the business community are saying about Taking Action for America:
Latest BRT News
Momentum for America
In 2016, Business Roundtable will focus its efforts on greater job expansion and economic growth – national priorities that are inextricably linked. Informing our plan is our collective business experience as CEOs of America’s leading companies, experience that tells us what it takes to build momentum for the United States in in 2016 and beyond.