Business Roundtable is an association of chief executive officers of leading U.S. companies working to promote a thriving economy and expanded opportunity for all Americans through sound public policy.
- With the Internet increasingly being used to access information on health care – 80 percent of Internet users look up health information online1 and 53 percent of adults 50 years and older are using or want to use mobile health (mHealth)2 – AT&T identified an opportunity to use technology to help its employees better manage their health.
- The prevalence of diabetes is increasing in the United States with nearly 26 million Americans living with the disease as of 2010.3 In 2007, the total cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States was $174 billion.4
- In response to the growing diabetes epidemic, AT&T introduced DiabetesManager® and initiated a pilot program with its employees, retirees and dependents. The program helps individuals better manage their diabetes through mobile or online engagement. The program includes:
- mHealth solution that provides instant feedback and coaching to participants based on real-time patient data
- Enterprise tools that provide historical reports and analysis for nurse/case managers
- Highly-secure infrastructure and meets privacy and security rules
- Six months after starting the program, participants continued to actively engage with the mHealth solution. User retention of the solution in month six was more than three times higher than the average retention for all iOS and Android applications. Ninety-one percent of the participants indicated that they would recommend the solution to someone else.
1. PEW Research Center. (2012). Pew Internet: Health. Retrieved from http://pewinternet.org/Commentary/2011/November/Pew-Internet-Health.aspx
2. AARP. (2011). Health and Caregiving among the 50+: Ownership, Use and Interest in Mobile Technology. Retrieved from http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/general/health-caregiving-mobile-technology.pdf
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2011). Number of Americans with Diabetes Rises to Nearly 26 Million. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2011/p0126_diabetes.html
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2011). National Diabetes Fact Sheet 2011. Retrieved from www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2011.pdf
© 2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. AT&T and AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property.
WellDoc, the WellDoc logo, DiabetesManager, the DiabetesManager logo and Automated Expert Analytic System are trademarks of WellDoc, Inc. Use of the WellDoc, DiabetesManager and Automated Expert Analytic System names, the WellDoc and DiabetesManager logos, and certain information contained herein is pursuant to a license granted by WellDoc, Inc. All rights reserved. DiabetesManager(®) is manufactured by WellDoc, Inc., Baltimore, MD and distributed by AT&T Corp., Bedminster, NJ.